Re: [Harp-L] Review of Thierry Crommen's La Nouvelle Donne

BTW, Ben is wonderful PLAYER and Writer, I remember we went to see Paul
Oscher in NY one night and we BOTH were asked to sit in,-))) It was a
Blast!!!

Yeah, I remember it well... You set me up by telling Paul Oscher that I'd come all the way from France specifically to see him ! Seriously, singing and playing with Paul's band was both awesome and terribly intimadating, especially following Rob's "I'd rather drink muddy waters...", a showstopper if ever there was one. Paul didn't seem to eager to play himself that night, so I guess he was happy to get people up front. I doubt having played very well, since a/ this was 1998 and b/ I was intimadated as all hell, but the experience is still burned in my memory.

Which reminds me that I've been meaning to get hold of Paul's latest...

I always enjoy reading your reviews and articles for Planet Harmonica...a
great service for Harpers around the globe...bravo!!

Thanks for the compliments. It's been tough maintaining PH alive (barely) in the last few years, and if Laurent hadn't helped, it probably would be dead by now. Having discovered typepad and blogs, the ease of updating and maintaining the site being what it is, expect more regular updates. In coordination with Laurent, we are probably going to migrate most of the original Planet Harmonica content to this new look.

I enjoyed your Tab for "Chicken Shack" so I thought I'd tab you out another
great Organ Jazz Groove, this was written by Eddie Harris but done by the
greats, Mcduff, McGriff and I'm sure Jimmy Smith...

Cold Duck Time has been recorded by McDuff (sadly on none of the records I have) but not by Smith apparently. Here's the list of the albums allmusic has on base : http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=17:280542
Since I don't know the tune, I'll have to dig it up and listen to it before I post the tab (I'd like to be able to play it ;))

I got hang with Jimmy
Smith last summer in Austria as he and his band play a few shows w/ the
Blues Bros Band, Jimmy will be missed, he set the mark for the organ world!!
I'm glad I had the chance to see him live.

Indeed. I was very sad when I heard the news. He's one of these guys I would really have liked to see live. I managed to get hold of a bootleg of his from the early 2000s and he still had it big time. Plus such a humorous and relaxed attitude...

This probably will sound best in F on a Bb harp as the orig key for this is
F, so break out that OB'in T-Bone of yours and give it a crack!....It doesn't sit
as well as 'Chicken Shack' but it's a fun 'workout',-)

Thanks, Rob, I'll let you know how it goes when I find a record with it on !

Ben