Re: [Harp-L] Sixth Position on #5 Tuning

On Mar 29, 2005, at 9:42 PM, Rick Dempster wrote:

Dear Reeders;
Digging through boxes of scrap harps looking for
reeds over Easter I found a 'C' harp that I had raised draw 5 a semitone
on I-don't-know-how-many-years back.
Never really took to that idea for second
position and it made first useless;

Hi Rick, I'm assuming here that you feel first is now useless for 'blues'? It won't be for 'pop' and certain 'country'. It is fairly good for 'western' and some 'folk' tunes (like Londonderry Aire-AKA Danny Boy) work well.
With second position it works OK as long as the tune isn't too fast. As long as the tune is reasonable in tempo, when the 5th draw (F on a C harp) is needed, you can bend the (F# on a C harp) that you made, down that semi tone easily. I would even venture to say that this particular bend is the easiest one on the harp as the reed was ALREADY cut and tuned to (an F on a C harp) and you have now taken away metal. (Instead of the usual deal which is to have a SHORTER reed in the first place). The longer (F on a C harp) reed will be more "whippy" and actually easier to bend.

 but I found myself playing in B
minor on the thing, and I liked it.

Man. I'm with YOU. I absolutely LOVE minors to begin with and play them any chance I get.

Took it to a gig Sunday night; we do a number that just happens to be in B minor: changes B minor, E minor and F#7th.

I can dig it.

For me, this tuning, in this position, works
better in a minor blues than the natural minor harps, and combines
elements (on the standard Richter tuning) of both third position (D on a
C) and what Tony Glover caused to be for some years popularly called
fourth, but now seems generally referred to as 5th (E on a C) which is a
position I like for minor blues, but has its frustrations as well.

Yes, you have to get comfortable with the tuning. Playing tunes other than blues will acclimate you to it.

                      A further adjustment to this tuning would be
filing up draw nine a semitone as well.

Yes, that's what 'I' do. Back in 1959, I damaged a reed while tuning. What the hell, I was only a fumbling teenager at the time. Well I broke the reed and had to replace it with another. I had to use a larger reed and when I had to snip it to length, I had removed enough from the tip to make it go sharp. I LIKED it and a week later I took the 9 up also. I think G had a couple of my old junkers like that. Now they call them 'country" (5 raised) or 'double country' (5 & 9 raised). I'm not sure who was first with this idea, but I DOUBT that I was. Hey, maybe I WAS. :) The one BIG problem with them is that if you're doing something fast (Foggy Mountain Breakdown), you can't get the 5 bent down fast enough. (At least 'I' can't). Another problem would be something like Rocky Top where you NEED the tuning to be Richter.

The only other thing that might make it more
useful might be adding a hole at the bottom with a low G on the blow and
a B on the draw. Sliding down from the root to the sixth via the seventh
and back is delicious.

Never thought of that one. Sounds neat. :) smokey-joe's ghost