RE: [Harp-L] Golden Melodies

Original Message:
-----------------
From: CHARLES BASSI jeanchar50@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:23:29 -0800
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Golden Melodies

I usually try to carry a harp around in my coat pocket in case
I feel like practicing/playing on the go.  I finally blew out the special
20 in C
I carry around so I tried carrying around and messing with a Golden Melody
in Bb.
It didn't work well for me. I found I was using about 1 & 1/2 times as much
breath to play the thing, and I found it to be not as loud as either
a Lee Oskar or special 20.
I found the reedplate design to be awkward in my mouth.
Accurate draw bends on hole 3 seemed to be much harder too - the action
on the GM seemed real stiff.

I realize all this is no big deal if I'm fine with special 20's and Lee
Oskars.
But I know some people swear by Golden Melodies and I wonder
what the attraction is.  I understand that, with proper gapping,
they are easier to overblow, but is that the only benefit?
I'd love to hear from some of the Golden Melody players out there
- what am I missing?

Thanks,

Charles