From: "Cliff Castle" <Cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: March 30, 2005 7:21:00 PM EST
To: "randysinger" <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Subject: [Harp-L] Since Electro Voice and Audix are sorta popular on
 the list...

DEAR HARMONICA COMMUNITY-

  It's been great working with the harmonica community.   I would have never believed how many different types of harmonicas and playing styles exist.    It's a pretty unique and eclectic group!

I have a few comments regarding the OM5, our other OM series mics, and the FireBall, and how they relate to vocals and harmonica.

In response to Michael's email specifically -  the results he got with the OM5 do not surprise me.   First, the OM5 is a vocal mic aimed specifically at the pro concert stage performance.    If one does not try it in its intended environment,  it could tend to sound thin or shrill.   As the mic  is meant for a larger PA system with subs, the OM5 starts sounding nice and full when there are subs added to the system.    It is true that it has remarkable feedback rejection -   in order to accomplish that performance characteristic,  there are some trade offs.   it means that the singer must be right on top of the mic (eating the mic) or you may lose some signal.   In this regard, the OM5 is not for everyone because the pattern is really tight and not everyone likes to stay right on top of the mic.   For harmonica, I could see the OM5 sounding a bit shrill, especially if you try to plug directly into a guitar amp.   You end up with even LESS low end response when you plug into a guitar amp because it requires a lo-hi impedance transformer.   Unless you get a really high end transformer,  you'll lose bass response.

All that being said,  most harmonica players that have contacted us (before the FireBall),  have been using either OM2 or OM7.   Mike Stevens, for example, just informed me that he's been using the OM7 because of the lack of proximity.
Toots Thielemans also uses the OM2 as it is more similar to the 58 he's always used in the past,  but has better fidelity.

The FireBall was developed with the same principles used in the OM2.   Originally we were going to make a smaller version of the OM2 , but the mic evolved into it's current shape after being beta tested by quite a few harp players out in the field.  I would say that the mic went through 3 or 4 distinct stages of different shapes and sounds.     What we ended up with is the smallest handheld dynamic microphone in existence with a a full size dynamic capsule.

We realize that many musicians are asking us for a volume knob as all the typical mics for harmonica have had one.  What's interesting is that once the players get used to the FireBall, the control knob becomes less of an issue.   Since you can get so much more gain before feedback on the FireBall than the other conventional harp mics,  you've already got a lot more gain to work with.    Some players have told us that they can easily control their volume by controlling the distance of the mic to their mouth.   Who knows, maybe a slightly different style of playing will evolve as a result of the FireBall.

That being said, we think we can offer another model in the future with a volume control knob.   Either that, or well come up with an in-line device that plugs in between the mic and the cable that has volume control.

Please feel free to share these comments with "the group" along with my expression of my appreciation for what you guys do.   Audix is now dedicated to the harmonica community and we're committed to helping you achieve the exact sound that you want your audience to hear.

With kind regards,

Cliff Castle
Audix co-founder (and bass player)