Re: [Harp-L] Hecklers (was "Another topic about professionalism")

I am more a than accomodating and gracious musician. I
genuinely appreciate the audience whether they have
come specifically to hear me or just happend to be
where we are and enjoy the music. Having said that I
have no tolerance for people who try to mess with my
axe. I've had dudes just grab a harp out of my case
and start wailing. I've had guys ask "Can I try one?"
to which I might reply "Sure If I can spit in your
mouth because it's practically the same thing." Not
too long ago I was playing one of the nicer joints I
play with a pretty upscale audience. I had a guy
literally trying to grab the harp out of my hand while
I was singing, motioning like he could/wanted to play.
I told him loudly but off mic "No!" and he kept doing
it. I'm a peaceful guy and this guy was out of control
but I told him in between lines in the tune "I'm gonna
punch you!" When the tune ends I say to the guy half
on the mic half off "Hey man I don't come to your job
and mess with the fry machine, do I?"
This guy was probably some NYC stockbroker and could
buy and sell me but he put on his jacket and left.
Mission accomplished. I s'pose I could have handled it
better but so could he.

I have never seen an audience member just jump up and
grab the guitar out of the guitarists hands this would
only happen to a harmonica player.

Ryan