[Harp-L] Off the cuff

Not one to question Cara´s musical ability or integrity, I would still say the rule holds generally: Keep your harps at home. An exception should perhaps be made for Cara (but Cara, don´t get drunk and lose your chops, pub´s are a risky environment) and those who are constructively contributing to the instruments reputation -- but they are a small minority.
   Thanks for tips on what to play.

  Mark would love to hear a tuba in the pub; and perhaps once, for approx. half a minute that would be great fun -- if the player could play. Not the case with most harmonicists regaling audiences with sloppy blues clichés.
  Otherwise, in view of the increasing level of insults to our aural environment, imbecile telephone conversations etc that you seem to deplore, is the best reply to this really to take up the harmonica and contribute to the cacaphonization? I dunno ...
  Like it or not, appreciation of harmonica music cannot be taken for granted and it mostly tends to be the crappy players who insists on practicing in public.
  But I shall give "The stripper" a try. Just in case.

Martin

harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

*"Generally I do not recommend carrying around a harmonica at all times,
that seems just to encourage abuse and further confirm the publics low
estimate of the instrument. The portability of the thing is too often
confused with some supposed widely felt need to listen to a harmonica every
now and then. You never see tuba players terrorizing pub crowds with
recently acquired skills.)"*

I carry a harmonica with me whenever possible regardless of the dangers of
abuse. It is seldom considered "low" when in my hands. But, then, I am not
what they expect either -- someone scratching out "Home on the Range" or
some weakly played blues riff (which might be the common assumption by those
asking). I, instead, can catch their attention and appreciation with a short
jig played at an almost undanceable tempo, but clearly enough that they can
follow every note.

*"As I said, no big thing but it would be interesting to see some
suggestions. What do you chose? "Oh Susannah"? "Love me do" intro? "Eine
kleine Nachtmusik"? "Rule Britannia"?"*

I don't have a single tune or riff that I use for these situations. It all
depends upon the situation at hand. If the conversation is starting off with
the "low" opinion of the harmonica, I might play "Fur Elise" (Mozart) or
"Rogue's Dance" (jig) or "Swallowtail" (jig), or anything else that appears
to be "higher" than their original opinion. Often, I will ask what type of
music they like and try to find a tune they already know so that they will
understand what I am playing. If they provide a general genre, I try to find
a nice tune within the genre that I can deliver without accompaniment. I try
to play to them so that they understand, but still pick tunes that have some
fun in them somewhere: a difficult run to widen their eyes; odd mode or
changes keys/modes in the middle somewhere; was played on "Bugs Bunny"
cartoons and is latently familiar; etc. "Oh, Susannah" can be a very good
choice, as can "Rule Britannia". "Dixie" is an excellent choice for simple
execution and fiddle-type (complicated) execution and is widely
recognizable, though some folks these days are afraid to play it or are
afraid to admit that they still enjoy it so you have to feel your audience
out to see if they would like to hear it.
Jigs are usually the most popular of the generic openers for me because of
the strong rhythm sense in their delivery and their complexity. I will
sometimes play Christmas music during the 'season' if I am asked. Once, a
lady who liked really old music asked me to play a little, so I played her a
couple of madrigals. While movies like "Star Wars" and "Harry Potter" are
familiar, it can be fun to play themes from them on the harmonica.
I also usually keep a harmonic minor on me, because I love the scale (but
it is not as much fun to play the scale on a major harmonica as it is to use
one tuned that way). So, when I have the harmonic minor on me, I can play
them "Hava Nagila" or "Hungarian Dance #5", or I can really mess with the
fiddle tunes. The "Chicken Dance" is fun to mess with on a harmonic minor.
The 'welcome to Hogwarts' theme from the 3rd Harry Potter movie works
wonderfully on the harmonic minor.
My suggestion for anyone who may find themselves in this situation is to
identify tunes that are enjoyable to play, enjoyable to hear, and are
challenging (but can be played well), and keep them as a list in the back of
your mind just in case you end up in one of these situations. Then pick a
tune or two from your list to show off the harmonica as best as you can
whenever you are asked. We will never get passed the "toy" concept as long
as we are too shy to demonstrate the harmonica's musicality. It is a "toy"
and is "played" by musicians, just like a violin or trumpet. It is up to us
harmonica players to demonstrate its musicality beyond the common concept.
Cara Cooke

Message: 10