[Harp-L] re: personal monitors (they don't have to isolate you..)

I use an earbud in just one ear.
(Home-built rig, there's lots of other ways to do this.)
I currently play racked harp with acoustic guitar in a trio with electric guitar and bass.
Without the earbud, I find my finger-picking deteriorating to sloppy strumming just to make up for the fact that I can't hear myself.
With the earbud, I can concentrate on my own sound, without losing the sound of the others.

The pro wireless in-ear monitors can involve custom ear molds, perhaps they do isolate you.

But, a simple, cheap fix can provide what I would describe as a slightly altered mix.
You hear yourself elevated above the others, not even close to drowning them out.