From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Joe and Cass Leone
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:10 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Hecklers (was "Another topic about
professionalism")

On May 3, 2005, at 7:54 PM, Bill Hines wrote:

> "Hey man I don't come to your job and mess with the fry machine, do I?"
>
> Ha, awesome! That really made me laugh hard at the end of what has
> truly
> been a very "not fun" day.
>
> Bill Hines
> Hershey, PA

  I'll tell you a tough one. An older couple who brings their 31 year
old son (mentally challenged). The 'kid' keeps bugging you. Not the
sax, not the keyboard, not the guitar, not the trombone, not the drums,
just YOU (the harp).
Why? Well we often talk about how some people perceive the harmonica as
a toy and here we have a (basically) child who wants to play harp.
  You have to be really gentle. You leave the band area and you talk to
him and walk him back to his table and sit him down. Maybe you mention
something to his elderly parents like "I found your son" and then
return to the band. It's sad in a way.
  smokey-joe