RE: [Harp-L] SPAH & Harp Purchases?

Well, no sooner do I ask than I go out to my mailbox and there's the
SPAH convention packet! On second thought, I guess these vendors have to
recoup their travel costs, etc so I can see the higher prices. They
weren't outlandish, just higher than I thought, when I could *get* them
to find out what the prices were! So no worries there (I wouldn't pay by
credit card again though, and shouldn't have with that setup).

Another thing - in my SPAH package there was the Bernie Bray award
nomination form. There was talk about nominating Jon Gindick a while
back. I want to remind and urge folks to please do this unless you can
think of someone better, or not sending the form at all. Jon helped me a
lot when I was just starting out, free of charge I might add. As he's
done for hundreds of harp players over his life. He's never too busy to
answer an email or post on his website. His website has TONS of great
stuff *free* for learners. He'll tell you he does nothing for free, but
I say that's BS. He truly *loves* the harmonica and travels all over to
promote and teach. He's a patient and passionate teacher. I'm sure he's
not making millions. He's been at it for almost all of his life, but yet
he doesn't seem to get a lot of credit or mention with the really "big"
names, which is sad. He's truly our Johnny Appleseed. Dennis Greunling
said he first was introduced to harp WAY back when he got one of Jon's
early instructionals as a gift. So look what that got us! A virtuoso and
gift to listen to, not to mention another great teacher in Dennis, so
the legacy continues, many gifts from the seeds Jon plants. So please
take a moment to fill out your blue form and nominate Jon. Sorry for the
campaign, but not too many people these days go out of their way to help
you with things, and that touches me the rare times it does happen.

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA