RE: [Harp-L] Music Competitions are not Evil

jazmaan wrote:
>The issue before us is whether SPAH should host a competition.
> Some people are against it because they fear that a sponsored
>competition might change the friendly atmosphere at SPAH.  If
>anyone has evidence to support that position, as opposed to
>mere speculation, I'd like to hear it.
<snip>
First of all, I have not been to a SPAH convention, so take this in to
consideration with my following remarks.

Personally, if I were in a competition, I would not be sharing anything
about my technique, tuning, action... breathing, and rythym
excercises... or anything. I believe that point has already been made as
to why they would not like competitions at SPAH. I feel that knowing how
I would behave at a competition is enough evidence for myself to know
that I wouldn't want to see SPAH do a competition.

In fact, harmonica players have been likened to duelists already. Why
instensify that? Or, why not, some may add. But, I really enjoy being
"wowed" by a professional harp player in a hallway, or at some teach-in.
I would wonder if these same people had to JUDGE a competition, how
would they respond? On one hand, now the persona may be thinking, if I
show this guy the trick, will it give him an edge in the competition?
Others might be upset - and so on.

The SPAH convention I hope to enjoy in the future would be easier to
look forward to if I knew all the "close personal friends" of Buzz's
didn't have to act all weird... well, "because of the harp competition"
weird, not the regular kind...

that's my speculation and I'm stickin to it.