[Harp-L] SPAH competition- my $.02

Hey list,

  I personally have a hard time giving ANY validity to competitions in the
arts of any kind, from the Oscars  to our local music awards show (from which I
have asked to be removed from consideration.) Competitons in the arts surely
do have publicity value. Winners can promote themselves & organizers can hype
the event. Don't confuse this with artistic merit or accomplishment.
Competitions also lead to infighting, resentment, general sucking-up, & high tension,
all things which I struggle to overcome in what I think of as my art.
   If SPAH decides to have a competition, I hope the orgnization reaps some
benefit. I know I won't take it seriously &, obviously, I won't participate or
attend. I'm guessing a lot of other players won't either.

If they have a competition, the winner (woo-hoo!!) will be the person who:

1 - chose to enter the contest
2 - had a good night
3 - had no technical glitches beyond their control
4 - played to the judges (who are they? what do they like?) expectations &/or
predjudices
5 - probably had some non-music related skill or attribute ( was 'cute' or
'funny' or 'charismatic' or 'dramatic'  or.......whatever )

The winner won't be:

1 - the 'best' harmonica player- even on that one night, even in that one
contest---since that is purely the opinion of each individual listener & can
change from one performance to the next. All they will be is the winner.
(woo-hoo!!)

Just my opinion.

later, Rosco
maybe august