[Harp-L] Re: My two cents and more either (long)

On May 5, 2005, at 10:52 AM, Nicolas Fouquet wrote:

I first have to say that I am not involved into SPAH organisation, I do not help to organize the convention, I do not know anything about organizong that convention and I do not know anything concerning what SPAH Board thought and/or trouble related to SPAH and its convention.

But as far as I know, many folks involved into SPAH are on that list (Doug Tate...). Have you heard them complaining that not enough people are coming and attending at the convention?

* See your paragraph #5

 I would doubt about that. So, why bother. It is easy to talk when we do not have any clue concerning what we are talking about.

* Some do, some don't

I remember Douglas Tate speech at the Saturday Night Gala in Colombus SPAH 2002.

* Me too

(#5) Douglas said: We have been very effraid this year. Until late, we had very little people who had signed up to come and we've been effraid that only few folks would come. (I do not remember the exact words. They might be on the SPAH Video) and you are all here. (We were about 400 people isn't it?). Some people came from far away to attend at that convention..."

As far as I remember, folks come from USA (Florida, Virginia, Texas, Michigan... ...) and Canada, and France (Yeah, I was there!!!), Sweden (cheers Mr. Backman), Taipei, ... ...

* I came from Fla

Not so bad for a convention isn't it? Not so bad for a convention which "may" need to attract more people.

Meanwhile, I fully trust into SPAH Board judgement. I will not talk anymore about a subject that they are the ONES who master it and that I am not.

* There's nothing wrong with the conventions. If I were to start another harmonica organization, I couldn't do better than to model it exactly as SPAH is. As a 15 year supporter (spah #1581), the management are my friends, and do a stellar job.

Some of the listers who have a retailing business will understand me: your customers always have something to tell you to make you "improve"...

* Well not in my case. The situation is a juggling act. To get the special rate(s) and special deals on additional conference rooms, spah has to 'guarantee' a finite number of attendees. If that number doesn't show, spah must make up the arrears. Then there is the attendence problem. If more than 360 people show, we have a hard time finding a place that's BIG enough for the sit down dinner/show. This usually necessitates one of the more expensive (further out of town) hotels. If we try to use a smaller, less expensive hotel, they can't handle the traffic. I had heard rumors that there were hotels who expected a certain amount of income from the food/beverage angle and were disappointed when said moneys did not appear. It seems that not everyone is willing to pay the costs of hotel meals (on a regular basis).

So, if spah were to increase their attendance much beyond 540, it will be hard to find a place to accomodate everyone. Btw Dallas 2003 had something like 450 and seemed like the largest I had ever been to out of 11 in the last 14 years.

Of course, we all wish that SPAH could be bigger, but then, think about flatable baloons: it is grows, grows and grows until... BANG!!

* I really enjoyed spah 1993 at Memphis. The hotel was IN town and there were all kinds of things to do. Most 'oldsters' I talked with thought the hotel was a run down dump. Apparently these people are wealthy and not used to 3 stars (instead of 5). I (with a clear monthly income of $2323) don't stay at 4 & 5 star hotels. The dinner had to move to the Peabody as it was the only place that could handle the COOKING. See, it isn't the seating...it's the PREPARATION. I'm sure Hurricane could attest to this. My one daughter is also a chef and would say the same thing.

 I do not want to arm anyone with my post. Just remind people that some folks are leading SPAh and that these folks have showed that they are proefficient at it. So, we should not mind to much and instead, warm up our harps for Kansas City!!!

* If I were wealthy, I would probably be a benefactor. As it is, I look forward to the conventions and it's not that I don't have a life. I just love all the people there. They accepted me, and therefore I accept them.

Meanwhile, a TV coverage sounds nice, but warn me before as I can make up my face! (which is not a lil deal!!lol)

* They (?) were doing a documentary in Dallas. It has NOT been seen yet. In 1997 (Detroit) they (?) interviewed Charlie Leighton and a couple others. I never saw it aired. My question is: "Who ARE these 'they'?"
Smokey Joe & the Cafe s

Kindest regards,

Froggy

Nicolas Fouquet Frog's Workshop 'Makes ya feel great!

Harmonicas
15 bis Rue tour du Château
34480 Puimisson France

tél.: (0) 4 67 36 06 14