Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harlem Nocturne

On May 6, 2005, at 11:40 PM, jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I played Harlem Nocturne last night. Sop-sax took first run, I did the
second. Don't see why someone would even THINK of doing this monster on
diatonic.

I uploaded my diatonic version years ago Joe, but you probably knew that.

No, actually I didn't

http://members.aol.com/jazmaan

I listened to these tunes. I have to hand it to you, the difficulty level is such that I would have rather driven a 5 1/2" hat-pin through my right eyeball and into my cerebral cortex than try to attempt them.

How DO you manage to keep all these different tunings straight? What with remembering the patterns of all these tunings AND the different positions on a plain old 'standard' harp, my brain would implode :)

Gotta admit, I am basically a 2nd position hombre.

That was a Temptation harp. Now I'm learning it on my XB-Melody. Sounds much nicer than that
early effort from years ago!

Makes sense to me. According to the pitch memory built into my head, I would say that your expertise on the melody will wash away all your other attempts. I always enjoy your playing. I like your style and especially your choice of grace notes. They are note combos which you don't hear often and are certainly different enough to be noticable. All in all it 'marks' your style. (A pleasant style which isn't boring).....great job.....

JoJo