Re: [Harp-L] Fender Pro Junior

Hi Dave,

Yes i am based in the UK.
But I'm stuck in  sunny Lancashire.

Thanks for the heads up on the Princeton though. I had heard somewhere that Big Walter used them.

Paul
On 8 May 2005, at 17:43, DFerguso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Paul
I can't comment on the Pro Junior rectifier thing although I'm sure it can
be done but it shouldn't make too much difference tone wise, one thing I am
sure of is that 'most any Princeton will easily out-shine a Pro Junior (to
my ears anyway...).

I've played through two brownfaces before and they were great amps although
I find the silverface Princetons more harp friendly (you can pick 'em up
cheaper too), really nice break-up great bottom end and plenty more power
than the PJs (apparently Big Walter used them almost exclusively).
I've always found the voicing on the PJs to be a little too thin & trebly
and even with tube swaps there's only so much you can do. Having said that,
they are a great work-horse amp for the money.

I seem to remember from an earlier post of yours that you're based in the
UK, if you're anywhere near london you're welcome to come & try out a 1975
silverface Princeton that I'm thinking of selling (& I could put you in
touch with a really good harp-playing amp tech as well).
In my experience the brown and blackfaces go for £500 and up whereas the
silverfaces are closer to the £400 mark.If, however, I'm wrong and you're
based in the States then you could pick them up for comparatively a lot
less.
Anyway good luck & whatever you do... try before you buy
Regards
Dave