Subject: RE: Subject: [Harp-L] Sniping on Ebay

MErickson writes:  "Please note, there is a difference between  "sniping"
(placing a bid in the last few seconds of an auction), and a "sniping  program"
(an automated
software program that places bids in the last few  milliseconds of an
auction). E-bay's help mentions "sniping", but say nothing  about 3rd party sniping
programs."

....It's actually becoming a bit tedious (not to mention a tad silly) for
those of us who've done well with EBay auctions to feel somehow obligated to
defend E-Bay  here on the Harp-L list, when you're seemingly ignoring all  the
advice/experience of those of us who have had perfectly reasonable
interactions thereon.  Would you stop to consider for a moment that perhaps  it is your
very discovery of these automated sniping programs (frankly I  paid no
attention to their existence before your post) that is fueling your  anger?  My
interactions on EBay have been 95% positive.  Like Bobbi, I  do my research but have
on occasion forgotten to get back online (so having an  online calendar
becomes useless <g>).  Also, like Bobbi - I have  never and will never give
"negative" feedback.  I find that entire process  demeaning.  Failing to get back
online on time caused me to lose out on  some items, a few of which I had placed
an early low bid  on, others I was simply "watching".  My reaction, after an
initial  "Rats!" was an "oh well - guess I wasn't meant to have them".  You
have to  accept the realities of "auctions", be they online or in an auction
house.   You can't and won't ever win them all.  The bargains I've  gotten so far
in re harmonicas and other harmonica-related accoutrements, has  made my EBay
playtime well worth it.  I'd suggest that for your own peace  of mind - forget
all about the possibility of a "sniping", bid on another item  that might
interest you and just relax and have fun with it.  I'd think it  would also be
obvious that one cannot possibly hold EBay responsible for  what others might do
illegally to subvert their rules and regulations in this  world of computer
hackers and viruses, some of which were discussed in  the last couple of days
on this very list.

My last ,02 cents:  out of all the EBay posts, yours so far  is the only
really negative one.  Doesn't that indicate the possibility  that you might be
overreacting just a wee bit?

Elizabeth