Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Sniping on Ebay

Hi all,

could we simplify that whole debate a bit?

In my opinion:

Point 1:

If you want to win the auction, you have to place the highest bid.

Point 2:

If you want to win for the least possible price, place the highest in
the last possible moment.
That way you can beat rookies, wich are known to bid step by step like
in a fever, until they have
the highest bid in the most early moment.

If you place your highest bid early, one of them will place a higher bid
very soon, no matter
how high the actual bid is. The'll do it step by step in small
increments, until they are just a
small step above you.
At any late time of the auction they will stop doing that, but before
they had enough time to push
the price of the item.
The one and only reason for sniping is to avoid this. The goal is to get
it, but to get it as cheap as possible.
Sniping helps in that.

cu,
Ralf