[Harp-L] Way Over My Head: Good Bye Pork Pie Hat

I'm getting in way over my head I am attempting to play the Mingus tune "Good By Pork Pie Hat" on diatonic. The Fake book version is transcribed in Ab (it's actually a blues in F) and I've been playing it basically in second position on a Bb harp. Mostly it;s pretty easy but some of the bends are a litlle tough. There's an E natural (16th note passing tone) that requires a really quick accurate bend on the 2nd hole draw. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to get an Eb on the lower octave.

i'm only mentioning this because it's all your fault--if I hadn't subscribed to this list, I never would have even thought about attempting this.

My big problem is that I've scheduled this tune as part of our regular repertoire, (hitherto I've played it on guitar, but know that we have a full time 2nd guitar I'm able to play more harp).

Any suggestions? a better position on a different harp? buy a chromatic?

thanks y'all

maurice

maurice richard libby
aka Whiteboy Slim