[Harp-L] re:extended solos

Chris Michalek writes:

"Hey Everybody,

What are your thoughts on taking extended solos. I don't mean 3 or
four choruses I talking about 20 choruses or more you know going on
for 20 minutes...

I'm holding my thoughts until later...
Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com
CD Available"

Rosco responds:
Hey list,

I wish Chris would take longer solos, especially on his recordings. He has
the ideas, the chops & more importantly, the band to make it interesting to
listen to a harp solo for 8 or 10 minutes (but not 20 min.). As long as he doesn't
do it on every song. I think you the main thing you need is good  band
dynamics &  variations in intensity (which also requires a band that LISTENS.) A
song with some real changes helps, too.
  Doing it in a lot of songs in a night  is really tough to pull off. Even my
favorite players can begin to wear me out with excessive wanking. (Is
'wanking' recognized slang for self-indulgent playing, or is it just players around
here that use that term?)  I It helps a lot if the soloist can structure a
break so that it seems to have a beginning, middle & end sections; or use a '
theme & variations' concept. Interaction with other soloists helps. It's also very
true that a  little bit of showmanship such as a wireless crowd walk also
helps sustain interest.
  I'm actually a frustrated wanker myself. I would LOVE to be able to play
loooong solos  but my band won't go for it.
  Now, if I could steal Jason Ricci or Chris Michalek's band............

later, Rosco
may.be au.gust