  From: Planet Harmonica
  To: Ron Good ; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 3:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Extended Solos

  Ron,

  You take interesting examples, and I find myself agreeing with you for the most part. However, independantly of radio format, commercial success can hardly be used as a gauge for musicality.

  For the most part, I find myself tiring very quickly of long solos over a repetitive chord sequence, whether the soloist approaches it from a jazz (playing the chord changes) or modal direction. What I do enjoy a little more are long solos over single chords or approaching lack of harmonic change. This has a totally different effect. Such a repetitive pattern creates a mood, an atmosphere that often goes beyond the music itself, and also it's very simplicity opens up a lot of possibilities. Obviously, you need a darn good soloist to pull it off. My current reference in the matter is young slide guitarist Derek Trucks. Check out his live recording at Georgia Theatre (http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?selectionId=092598&sms=t1089399-s092598-ast) to see what I mean.

  Ben
    -----