Re: Re: [Harp-L] Extended Solos= jason ricci

randysinger <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the one harmonica maniac that comes to my mind is Jason ricci (was he
> mentioned, if so, I missed it)
> This man can solo endlessly with total abandon, I really admire the guy.
> Check out his song "goenophiny"---it is like a 15 minutes long stream
> of conscience solo!!!!

the one from 2/25/05 is 27 minutes long.  yeesh.  and yet, if you listen to
it, it's not just one long harp solo.  there're breaks to introduce the band
members, solos by them, talking with the audience, etc.  i don't think you
can listen to someone wailing on harp for a half hour without some time to
regroup, no matter how good they are.  as someone pointed out, at some
point your brain hits overload and it all starts to sound the same.

one of the things that makes this work is that new blood is a great band,
not just some backing musicians with a great harp player.  solos alternate
between jason, shawn, and jason and shawn, and it's the combination
and variety of all this great stuff that makes the music great.  music is a
conversation, between the musicians, and between them and the audience.
doesn't matter how well you speak if you got nothing to say, and nobody
wants to listen to you talk to yourself.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?