Re: [Harp-L] Extended thoughts on extened solos

b) Chris's long solos are better (more entertaining, more live) than his composed tunes or his shorter improvisation.

I've gone and listened to Chris play, both the blues band, and the trio. I think that one of the things that makes long solos work for Chris is that his band is harp-bass-drums. He swaps the lead with the bass (an exceptional bass player at that). Basically, the harp serves the functions normally filled by a vocalist and the lead guitar, and the bass fills the function of lead guitar and bass. It does not seem the least bit odd for either of those instruments to solo given the context, but a Chris solo isn't a harp solo in the mind of the listener. At times his harp sings, it is effectively a singer doing a solo, then it's a harmonica solo, then a horn solo, and the singer again. It weaves a Byzantine journey that travels from genre to genre, idea to idea, and then back again. There are lots of "Where did that come from?" moments. I never had a "OK, time to wrap this song up" thought while listening, because it isn't just a number that goes on and on..

Peace and music,
Dave