RE: [Harp-L] Valved players unite!

S.Doyle Yoder Sr writes:
> Paul, I had asked this same question several years ago, when I first
started
> using valved harps.  The response was almost nil, causing me to believe
that
> the "Big Boys" thought them problematic, or maybe unnecessary.

Doyle, first off I'm a bit unclear about what you are calling "valved"
harps.  Chromatic harmonicas are valved on both the blow and draw reeds,
though many models don't include valves on the highest reeds as they are
small enough to not cause a lot of leakiness.  The valves on a chromatic
serve a different purpose than those on a half-valved diatonic.  They ensure
that only one reed in a given slot will sound at a time.  As such they
prevent interaction between the reeds, whereas half-valving a diatonic still
permits both reeds to interact, allowing all of the the existing (normal)
bends, and it permits a different type of "resonant" bending on the
non-valved single reeds (blow 1-6 and draw 7-10; isolated by the valves)
that couldn't otherwise be bent.  Note that this "resonant" bending is not
the same as the usual method of diatonic bending you are probably used to,
requiring you to learn a different more advanced technique that by its very
nature also enhances your nascent tone as a side benefit.  There is lots of
fertile territory that is opened up for a harper by learning to play a
half-valved diatonic.  They make you become a better player and they are a
gas to play.

It sounds like you are using stock Suzuki Pro-Master half-valved harps but
then you make a couple of statments that makes that unclear.  I can tell you
that one of the "Big Boys" who is a strong proponent of half-valving
diatonics is on this list.  Unfortunately, IronMan Mike Curtis has been
pretty quite on the list recently.  He used to jump on any post about
half-valved diatonics and has written much about them.  I'm surprised you
didn't run across some of his writing in your harp-l travels or in the
archives.  Just so you know, he plays chromatically in all keys using a
single half-valved C Lee Oskar.  See his web site for more details:

http://www.ironmancurtis.com/index.shtml

Of particular note:

http://www.ironmancurtis.com/valvharp.shtml

> I do know
> that they tend to stick and delay response a while, and as of yet I have
not
> found a sure way to correct that problem.

Huh?  If you are talking about half-valved diatonics, I have to disagree.
All the valves on a half-valved harp are on the bendable reeds, meaning that
the most problematic lower reeds (1-6; in tems of condensation) are valved
only on the draw reeds.  Valves on draw reeds don't collect the condensation
that is carried by your exhaled breath so they usually are not the offending
ones when it comes to sticking unless they'e dirty or are hampered for some
mechanical reason.  The higher reeds (7-10) do get valves on the blow reeds,
but far less exhaled breath is required to make them sound so condensation
isn't usually a problem there, either.  I can't even tell that my valved
ProMaster has valves at all, except for the the added ability to bend those
reed that normally can't be bent on an unvalved harp.

As to correcting the problem of sticky valves, bringing a harmonica to body
temperature before you play it will minimize the condensation problem and
hence valve stickiness.  Some people keep their chrom's warm in a heating
pad set at a low temperature just for this purpose.  Not a bad idea even for
an unvalved harp.

> There are several songs that I
> keep my Pro-Valved harps for.  "Twilight Time", "Down Yonder", "Whispering
> Hope",  and one of my favorites" Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" are
> the ones that I can think of.  In all of these songs I use the valve on
the
> 6 blow.  On" Rose of Sharon Waltz" I find the 7 draw valve necessary.

This is the statement that confuses me.  How do you use only one valve on
even a half-valved diatonic?  Do you mean that you only take advantage of
the valves on those specific holes by applying the otherwise unavailable
bends only on those holes?  Or do you actually install valves only on those
reeds you mention?

> Still working on controlling my valves,  Doyle

Maybe if you explain a little better what you are trying to do someone will
be able to offer some advice.  Barring that, I bet IronMan would be happy to
answer questions about half-valving diatonics, as it is one of his favorite
subjects.  He knows from whence he speaks.  There is an e-mail link on his
home page site.

If I've missed my mark completely and you are talking about valves on
chromatic harmonicas, you just need to get used to them as they are part of
the "nature of the beast."  Check G.'s extensive site for details on
chromatics here:

http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/

Good luck,

Michelle