Re: [Harp-L] Digitech Vocalist VR

Ron Good wrote:
> And minor flaws that I (might have) heard (because it sounded
> pretty darn good to me) in how the processor handles tracking your
> playing I think would certainly be simply un-noticeable in any
> live mix.

On the first tune (Vocalizer One) right at 0:44 there is a glitch.
I made plenty of little miffs in my playing, and am not trying to
escape responsibility for those, but this one was the unit.  Maybe
the note was indistinct, or the pitch was off, but something
confused the ADC or the DSP, and I got a bit of a hiss.  In the
second tune (Somewhere) at 0:34 and at 1:17 it happens again.  At
the end of the first tune as the run heads up into the higher
register you can really hear latency in the harmonies.  I agree that
these probably wouldn't be a problem in a live performance,
particularly when I'm playing accompaniment to the band.

> I think Digitech is a the top of the game in vocal harmony
> processors (have neen for quite a while) and have thought about
> using one for the same purpose for quite a while.

The Digitech is one of the less expensive units of its kind, with a
pricier competitor from TC-Helicon (VoiceWorks) that gets pretty
good reviews.  The Helicon has selectable intonation, human
characterization for the harmony voices (how useful for harmonica?),
and transparent pitch correction (fixing those overblows?).

On the other hand, the Digitech is half the price and has a lot of
the most useful features, including the same basic harmony setup,
built-in preamp and nine different reverbs.  I think I need to spend
some more time dinking around with mine to get what I want, but so
far it's a lot of fun!

Thanks,

-tim