Re: [Harp-L] MV1 - Harmonica Finger Mic by Microvox

Sorry for picking up on this a bit late; I had a busy weekend!

On 17 May 2005, Chris Bates wrote:

 : Anyone have experience with this mic?

I've been using one for a couple of years.  I like it; it's a lot easier to
hold than a bullet mike, and to my ears it sounds pretty decent,
played through either the Blues Junior or the Blues Deville.  I get
compliments on my tone, anyway.  I don't have much trouble with
feedback, but then I don't usually play very loud.

The one thing I really dislike about the Microvox is that it's actually
kind of unwieldy.  The clip on the power unit tends to pop off my
belt a lot.  But the biggest hassle is the microphone part itself.  It's
tiny and fragile, and sits at the end of a light, four-foot-long cord.
That's exactly the right length to drag on the floor directly under
my feet.  Because it's practically weightless, I tend to just drop it
when I get distracted by something, forget it's there, and wind up
stepping on it and shorting out the contacts.  I've already ruined
one that way.  The company happily replaced it for free, but I can't
keep asking them to do that.  I've tried repairing it, but the
contacts on the condenser mic element are hardly big enough for
me to see any more, let alone solder to!

Aside from the weak belt clip, the power supply unit that comes
with it is nice; has a volume pot/switch on the top, and two inputs:
one fixed-level and one internally adjustable.  This part is
expensive but seems well made.  I'd be happier if I could find a
ready source of replacement mic elements I could use with it.

-----
Dave Weeks
Pleasant Hill, Calif.