Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 18:56:36 -0000
From: "Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Re: [Harp-L] Embossing Tools
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

The amount that the reed is deformed down into the slot is
deetermined by how far you run the embossing "tool" up toward the
rivet end of the reed.  You can restrict the embossing to the 2/3 of
the reed slot closest to the tip without causing too much permanent
deformation.

This deformation is in part a good thing (you want some of it).  It
helps to push the root of the reed down into the slot, where it will
reduce the leakage, even without the embossing effect.

Deformation of the reed during embossing is also an opportunity to
adjust the reed arc or curvature, which helps set the tips higher
without bringing the reed up too far out of the slot.

There are other ways to emboss the slot closer to the rivet end of
the reed.  One is to use something like a glass cutter to "score"
the slots outside the reed area.  In this technique the reed isn't
touched at all.  Another would be to support the reed and actually
emboss the *reed* to widen it at the edges, rather than to narrow
the slot.

-tim

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jonathan Metts"
<jonathan@xxxx> wrote:
Yeah, I do that, but I'm afraid that the penny is pushing the reed
so far
out of position that it's ruining the arc and/or causing me to
excessively
stress the reed when I have to regap it by a quarter-inch.

Jonathan Metts