To: <jeanchar50@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 4:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Gear

No!
One can get a great sound with modern and inexpensive amplifiers....
I often use a little Pig Nose solid state battery powered amp for
recording... It gives a fine tone, at very low volume. IT WAS VERY CHEAP! My every day
"giging" amps are Fender Blues DeLuxe 40 watt (1 x 12" speaker) tube amps, I
bought them both second hand ... I have 2 of them, They give a fantastic tone,
and they were NOT expensive...
If you want that "electric" sound, all you need is an amp with some
distortion.... a "fuzz box" with a Shure SM58 mic, through the PA, will do it....
OK, it is wonderful to use a 40 year old Fender Champ. Or an "original"
Bassman.... But the "tone" comes from the player, NOT the amp....

Best wishes
John Whiteboy Walden
London
England

Why is all the good stuff for harp amplification
(at least the stuff that people brag about) - mics, amps, preamps,
effects, etc., made a minimum for 40 years ago