[Harp-L] new Howard Levy recordings-kinda long

Hey list,
   If I remember correctly, Rob P. did a pretty detailed & well written
review of three new Howard  Levy recordings a few weeks ago. I purposely avoided
these recordings for the last few months while I've been working on improving
some aspects of my own harp playing. I was sure that Howard's new stuff would
pull me away from what I was woodshedding. Man, was I right!!!
   Howard has three new discs that I finally picked  up recently. Chevere is
a group of VERY heavy Chicago musicians that I have been hearing about &
wanting to see for a long time. They finally put out a recording. Howard only plays
harp on a few cuts but that is worth the price of the CD, even if it wasn't
for all the other GREAT playing by the guys on the CD (esp. Ernie Denov on gtr.
& Howard on keyboards). Howard also has a recording with Fox Fehling that I
STILL  haven't listened to because I got stalled on the CD Howard did with
guitarist Paul Sprawl. This might be the CD of Howard's to get if you are not sure
you like Howard. It's bluesy at times without being rigidly blues, it gets a
little  'out there' but always finds it's way back &  there is a LOT of very
well recorded  harp. It's probably true that Howard's scale choices are not
going to sound intuitive or "right"  to some blues purists-I'm guessing those
folks don't give Levy's playing much attention anyway. Anyone else who loves
harmonica, especially if you are on the fence about overblow/draw playing being
musical,  should look into this CD. Paul Sprawl is a great player & a good
songwriter (I'm a song-writing snob, so that's actually a big compliment from me,)
with a relaxed voice that suits his songs well. Howard uses just about every
harp technique there is in these 11 songs, in addition to his wonderful piano (
& half a dozen other instruments) playing
    I won't attempt a complete review, but I will say there is enough
mind-blowing harp on just the first two tracks to keep me analyzing them  for a
couple weeks. I don't mean he's blowing me away with notes or in- your- face
showing off; I'm talking about very cool, subtle  accompaniement ideas & tasteful
solos. (Yes, there is some "holy-s**t, how'd he do that" stuff on the album,
too.)  Track 9 has some of the prettiest  harp accompaniement I've ever heard.
Howard uses inervals, chords  and  partial chords to  frame a beautiful song.
Obviously, I love this CD.
    A disclaimer is probably in order  for perfectionists &  those for whom
minor intonation  'nuances' are unacceptable. This CD sounds like it was made
by humans. Also, though  I have studied with Howard in numerous group
situations, but I have no affiliation with him outside of being a fan.

later, Rosco
maybe august