From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Steve Shaw
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 5:45 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Bushman Delta Frost harmonicas in bluegrass

Bobby wrote:
>With all due respect, I disagree. I find the XB-40 to be an ideal choice
>for a live bluegrass setting that includes the harmonica. First of all,
>standard bluegrass instrumentation of fiddle, banjo, mandolin, guitar
>and upright bass is LOUD! I don't care how well one can project a
>harmonica, a standard diatonic has difficulty cutting through. Banjos
>can't be played soft. Fidlles have difficulty with that as well but
>more importantly their tambre is very similar to a harmonica and the
>harp gets drowned out.

I agree about the advantage of the XB40's loudness.  But in a noisy Irish
pub session with background noise and all, you need to be amplified a tad if
you care about being heard at all, no matter what harp you're playing.  So
in this situation the XB40 has no particular advantage for me.

>I find the XB-40 to be very responsive. There was a learning curve
>initially but I learned I didn't have to play or bend as hard to get
>the note I wanted.  I find it can be played with a very light touch and
>still get plenty of volume.

Maybe I was unlucky with my two (G and low D).  Bending - great.  Response
to light touch - not my two!  They are the stodgiest two harps in my
armoury.

I have several and they all have their time
>and place but are NOT a replacement for a standard diatonic.

Exactly how I feel about them.  I wasn't trying to dismiss them out of hand.

>BTW, while many of the fiddle tunes are in the major scale and1st
>position, fiddle tunes are modal and there are lots and lots and lots
>of 'em that utilize 2nd and 3rd and positions in between all three.

For truly modal tunes I simply don't need XB40s.  I select the key of harp
that will permit me to play the tune with as little (or no)
bending-to-get-notes as possible.  On my CD I play tunes in 1st, 2nd,3rd and
4th positions.  I used just a G lee Oskar, Paddy Richtered, and a SP20 low
D.  All tunes except one modal, not one bend-to-get-note in sight.  A bit of
bending for expression though.

>When I want to just pick up a harp and play I never reach for the XB-40
>unless I'm working on something specific.

Exactly the same for me.  I use it for the Sailors' Hornpipe...but in most
non-modal cases I'd rather pick up my good ol' 10-hole G Chromonica.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm