Re: [Harp-L] a little more on gear

Harpmac01@xxxxxxx wrote:

I'm sure back in the day for the old masters if the right amp was there for them at the time, and was pointed out to them or found by them they would use it full-time, but lets not forget some real stuff here, little walter and a lot of these cats lived hard, fast lives, making money for them in this new way opened up so many closed doors to them, that this whole new life took over all their senses, they just never really thought about the amps as much as i'm sure they would have liked, and was it not little walter who used to complain that he preferred to cup his harp with a mic and through an amp...yeah too right he did!!! walter was hip to this, but at that time it was all pretty new and still to be discovered, but walter and some others were discovering it! in later years guys like sonny jr etc.would define and refine it! if walter had lived you just know he would have used a custom amp!!!

Maybe if LW were alive now he'd be using a custom amp. Back in the early fifties almost any amp was good for harp. "High end" amps like the Fender Deluxe and the Gibson Les Pauls were good. The cheap Valco, Harmony, and Danelectro amps and the private label ones that they made were good. A lot of PAs were good. Think of how much practice amps from the fifties and early sixties sell for now.

You could get the kind of distortion that sounds good easily at volume levels where feedback wasn't a problem. I believe that for small club settings everyone should be forced to play through amps that put out fifteen watts or less. It might be bad for earplug sales but I could live with that.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly--that's me--on the web.
http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly