[Harp-L] Jam Session Learning Curve/Horror Story Redux

Well I think I can fairly say I'm on the road to becoming a "real" bluesman. It's amazing just how much truth there is in the cliches. Last night was my first paid gig as the host for a jam session. When I arrived, there was a group of three . . . uh, musicians on the stage playing. Since the owner permited this, I let them play for about 45 minutes before asking that they leave the stage.

I and my guys set up and did about a 45 minute set before opening it up to the musicians in the house. During our set, the guitar player from the Drunk-As-A-Skunk Trio stood in front of the bandstand saying, with an extremely aggresive delivery and demeanor that grew to meanacing by the set's end, "All right. It's out turn now."

Ignoring him seemed the best course of action. I brought up all the jammers present and about midway through the night, brought the house band back up to give the audience a tighter set. Then Stevie Ray Drunk-As-A-Skunk resumed his post in front of the bandstand and started grabbing one of the microphones and talking to the audience while we were playing.

When it became abundantly clear that ignoring the guy wasn't working, I stepped off the band stand and asked the owner and the bartender for help. That looked at me and said, what's the problem. I explained, they shrugged. Not being a quiter, I did my best carry on. Finally I disconnected the mic the guy was fooling with. At which point, he did the same to me.

Responding to his action aggressively would have resulted in fisticuffs. Having spent thousands and thousands of dollars on dental work, and being a lover not a fighter, I went back to ignoring the jerk. After the set was over, another "whole" band showed up. I gave them the stage for a while.

Four really badly played sixties rock tunes later, the audience was gone. I and the house band got back up on stage and you guessed it. Mr. Drunk-As-A-Skunk was back at his post, only he was even drunker, nastier, and meanacing. Finallly I said "eff it." We got off the stage and packed up our gear.

I informed the owner of the situation. She talked with the guy one more tim. He did apologize, mumbling something like it was the alcohol not him and that he was jealous because we sounded good.

When it came time to settle up for the night, the owner slipped out back and told the bartender not to pay me. I pushed the issue and then she reluctantly gave me half the agreed upon fee while inviting me back for next Wednesday.

Shrug. Somehow I doubt I'll go back but if I were to, do folks have suggestions on how to deal with situations like this?

Bob "I'm Glad I've Still Got All My Teeth" Cohen