Re: Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Embossing

Embossing will reveal all manner of irregularities in the reeds and
slots.  It could be that the reed is just off center a little.  One
thing I like to do after embossing is to run a shim (0.002") down
the edge of the slot between the slot edge and the reed.  This will
both straighten the reed in the slot and remove tiny burrs on the
slot wall.  If this isn't sufficient -- maybe the slot has been
narrowed too much -- I sometimes use a chisel to scrape away at the
slot wall to widen it where it contacts the reed.

-tim

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Blake Taylor"
<taylorb@xxxx> wrote:

O.k. -    Made my first attempt at embossing last night - used a
penny
and rubbed it with some force, using the curved edge, up and down the
slot.  Didn't see a great deal of difference visually (I was trying
it
on a sp20).  Obviously the reeds needed to be re-gapped. After
regapping, I gave it a blow, and noticed a buzz in some of the reeds.
I'm guessing I may have overdone it on the embossing. Any ideas /
suggestions?

 - Blake

>>> "Blunt White" <playharp@xxxx> 11/03/05 8:40 PM >>>
I have recently used the tip of needle nose pliers. They are easy to
grasp
and the outside of the tip has a nice round shape and is very hard.
It
also
permits working each side independently of the other.  I smoothed the
plier
tip with crocus cloth.  I have also found that one or two light
passes
on
the edge of the reed slot before starting with 320 on a sanding
stick
removes the burrs that often drag and catch during the embossing
process.

Tim what size socket head do you use?

Blunt White
Banker by day, bluesman by night