>From about 1995 until 2002, I kept the day job, and
was on the road most weekends playing, sometimes a
whole week. I used every vacation day I had and I had
about 6 weeks in the bank to travel and play. Was it
worth it? You bet. Three CD's, two of which charted on
the Americana music charts, and being able to live the
dream and play all over the country. Often it meant
taking Friday off, getting back late Sunday night and
back to work on Monday. Did that every week for an
entire summer once. It's tough, but well worth it.
These days, I'm content to play in two bands and play
gigs reasonable close to home (within the state). But
I would do it again under the right circumstances. It
has to be the right band though to beat yourself up
that way.

Pete Remenyi

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:30:29 -0600
From: "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] day jobs
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

day Jobs ain' all they're cracked up to be. I'm
getting ready to
leave my day gig behind to be a road dawg for a few
years or possibly
forever if I'm successful.

If it's a scary move because I have a super gravy day
gig for one of
the world's most profitable companies that more than
pays the bills
and allows me to book tours and come and go as I
please while being
paid very well.  Still it's not worth losing on the
dream of being a
true pro musician.