[Harp-L] those nasty amps with no power transformer

I have one of those amps that's built like an AC/DC radio without the radio circuits. I know there's a serious risk of electrocution with them. I was talking to an amp tech the other day and he said "Use an isolation transformer and you won't have a problem." It hadn't occurred to me, but I know that's standard procedure for working on AC/DC radios to avoid shock.

Is this the answer to the safety problem? All of these amps have a great nasty sound that's ideal for recording. Small isolation transformers aren't that expensive.
--

Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell