Re: [Harp-L] teaching question

Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:04:39 -0500
From: "samblancato" <samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] teaching question
>> *       My question is this: should I try to teach him Tongue blocking
>> straight away, or get him to a more advanced level (bending etc. )
>> before moving to TBs?
>
>I would hold off on the TB for a while.  Here are my
>reasons:

Hi there,
  With beginners, I get them to try pucker and tongue block for single not
playing - the method they find easiest is the one I start them on.
   Some people find pucker easy and tongue block hard, other people find
tongue block really easy and pucker impossible.
  Later on when they've got better command of the instrument I'd guide them
towards learning the other technique.  Both techniques have a lot to offer,
and in my mind in the long term its best to master both, and use them in an
integrated way, rather than locking yourself into one or the other.
  The thing I hit with dismaying regularity are people who've learnt
exclusively with one method, then say the other method is too hard (and not
just limited to learning TB or pucker) ... a lot of people don't seem to
grasp that when you are learning something new, you have to start all over
again. But the good news is the more grounding you have to begin with, the
less time it takes to get used to it - assuming regular practice.

  Cheers,
-- G.