[Harp-L] Kava on Ricci

Our pal Brad Kava just wrote a nice bit in his San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News column about Jason Ricci. Check it out at:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/music/13114474.htm

Or here's the text:

Ricci rivals big-name acts in our midst

Brad Kava

In the rush of this perfect storm of Big Classic Rock Concerts, there are some little squalls -- great, great club shows you shouldn't miss. In fact, if I didn't have to go to one of these stadium affairs, I would be much happier to hit the clubs.

At San Francisco's Biscuits and Blues on Sunday is a young musician who has the charisma of Mick Jagger and the voice of Steven Tyler and plays a meaner harmonica than John Popper.

If he's so good, how come you haven't heard of Jason Ricci?

Well, for the past few years, he's been living the crazy music tour life -- on the road 300 nights a year in a van with a band that gets tighter as their transmission gets looser. Turns out, it's more economical for Ricci to tour the East, where cities are closer together, than out here.

As a harp player, Ricci can do things even Popper can't do, hitting every note on the usually limited harmonica's scale and making them jackrabbit-fast and bluesy at the same time.

If you go to harmonica nerd Web sites, you see testimonials that take on a religious fervor: ``I just saw this guy Jason Ricci, and it changed my life.''

Then, as new apostles, they go on to lavish praise on the performer they just saw, almost in identical words to the person who saw him the night before in Tuscaloosa. I guess they call that word of mouth, via Internet, and it's a great thing.

You can check him out yourself. He puts concerts online for free downloads at www.jasonricci.com and has collectors across the country downloading and saving them.

You can catch him at 9 p.m. at Biscuits and Blues, 401 Mason St., San Francisco; $10; (415) 292-4583.