[Harp-L] recent fracas

My apologies.  As listowner one of the more difficult duties I have is in
deciding when things are getting out of hand.  I certainly don't want to
quash what could be a pertinent or interesting discussion.  In retrospect
I blew it on this one. The confrontation had been escalating for days,
barely within the bounds of the posting guidelines and not meeting the
spirit of them at all.  Where's the harmonica content?  It was never
polite.  The parties involved do have quite a large harmonica world
presence and they have a way of posting.  It's contested especially when
they're referring to the other person.  I've allowed it in the past, I
won't allow it in the future.  From now on if you don't get along with
someone on the list then don't engage.  If you do engage you'll get told
to take it offlist, *immediately*!

So to the vast majority of the very polite community building guideline
following harp-l members I must reiterate, my apologies.  I'll try and do
a better job of maintaining list order in the future.  As always when
something like this happens I learn something.  There's no owner's manual
with this job so you learn as you go and  apparently I'm still learning.
Since we don't exercise prior restraint here at harp-l detecting impending
flames is always a guessing game.

Some of our sharper eyed members noticed the pharmaceutical spam that
wended its way into the digest and a post.  Not to worry, there hasn't
been a security breach.  How all of this spam gets filtered is manually.
It gets rejected and sent to an approval queue.  Either Ben or myself then
goes through the queue selecting, discard, reject or approve.  We do
literally thousands of these transactions in a month.  In 16 months we've
made one error.  One or the other of us approved a post that should have
been rejected.  The archive has already been corrected.  We'll redouble
our efforts and try for a 32 month error free processing string this next
time around.  Even so one in 16,000 plus is not a bad error rate.  fjm
harp-l-listowner