[Harp-L] haiku-ode to a harp-l-er named Douglas Tate

haiku-ode to a harp-l-er named Douglas Tate

sitting on my bar stool watching the sun setting
on tumon bay, guam,
talking to Douglas on the phone -
knowing he was soon to get the same sun a half-day later.

talking about everything BUT harmonica.
a man with a funny accent, but an even funnier sense of humour.
and a heart bigger than the sky that separated us.

                          * * *
a rainy monsoon nite... ... ...
up a the radio station playing Blue Monday Micronesia,
delightfully playing one of Douglas¹ classical pieces on the air,
somehow.....classical blues ­ a promise is a promise.

                          * * *
now, i stare at my copy of how to play the harmonica well,
and all I can think:  one thing i learned about from him:
how to be a human being well.
so well.

the sound of me not blowing my harp for a few minutes or so.

rest in peace, Douglas, rest in peace.

-sg, tokyo