[Harp-L] BBC article

Hopefully this posts only once. I sent it from my non-harpl email address the first time.

mike
---------
I found this article in the BBC News archives while searching for possible info on Doug Tate.

Take notice to the first and last line. The writer seems a wee bit hostile toward harp players if not members of the Lib Dem. party in the UK.

Blowin' in the wind

The Lib Dems' youth spokesman, Lembit Opik, has an unusual personal obsession which, I fear, must be revealed to the wider public.

Gimme that harp boy
When he took the platform at a fringe meeting at the party conference the other day he duly took out of his pockets the heavier items - mobile phone, glasses case and so on - and neatly lined them up on the table in front of him.

And there, nestling in the middle was - a harmonica.

Apparently Mr Opik has been a keen "harp blower" for eight years or so and his great hero is Larry Adler.

Wherever Lembit goes, his harmonica goes with him and he spends much of his spare time practising his technique.

And yes, he does know the definition of a gentleman - someone who knows how the play the harmonica, but doesn't.