To: <fsstov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 10:32 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] out of the rut

If you're in a rut it's because you think the same way about everything you play. If you put your intrument down for awhile you'll find that you'll most likely forget about the little stuff that was bogging you down. Like working on a large puzzle, sometimes you just can't find the peice you want and then after you focus on something else and come back, you find that it was always sitting in front of you.

---- Original Message ---- From: fsstov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: RE: [Harp-L] out of the rut Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:24:48 -0600

I had the great pleasure to be energized at Jam Camp last spring.
Great
plans, good practice ideas, I improved a lot. Then this fall I had
some
severe employment concerns which left me unable to concentrate at
all on
the harp.  I stopped playing for several months.  Last week I got
together wih the guys to jam.  I felt that I played better than I
had
for a long time, even though I hadn't picked up a harp for months.
Although I don't have the tape to prove it, I got rave reviews.
So...

Any chance that taking a extended break can improve your playing I think Chris M has suggested this in the past. This runs counter to
my
teacher's advice to always play a little every day. Maybe not
playing
helped me focus on the bare essentials which I picked up again..  I
relate it to not playing golf over the winter, then having my best
round
of the year the first time out.

So maybe if you're in a rut, give it a rest.

Cheers to you, Doug T!
Fred S

Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com