[Harp-L] Jazz Harp players

I think that the best jazz harp players are the ones that have studied jazz
as an entity.

Howard Levy, Galison, Turk have all been jazz students - outside of playing
harmonica. This means study/understanding of jazz theory, composition, styles,
history.

Imagine enrolling in a Jazz College and taking 2 years of courses to
understand this art form, getting A's from all the teachers, and then learning to play
the harmonica, applying it to the jazz idiom.

This is certainly different from playing blues harmonica, becoming interested
in jazz tunes, learning to play the heads on the harmonica and then working
out solos over the changes. I know of some excellent contemporary recorded
diatonic harmonica players doing jazz tunes in which the solos are quotes from
Howard Levy, Miles Davis, or whoever they are listening to for inspiration.

Both approaches are effective. I find the strongest foundation through
studying and understanding jazz as is and then applying that knowledge to the
harmonica.

The Iceman