Re: [Harp-L] LW tremelo?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Dunn" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 3:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] LW tremelo?

john kuzloski <jkuzloski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Going Down Slow? Recently got the 2-CD Blues With a Feeling. CD2,Track 16.
Sounds like electronic trem. Whaddaya think? --jk

Hello John,

At the moment my copy of the 'Blues With A Feeling' CD is with our drummer who
is working with Freddie Below's drum parts. But as we have listened to
the 'old' version, I've Had My Fun' from the 'Hate To See You Go' album for so
many years, 'Going Down Slow' is not something that we would forget very soon.

While the debate is still ongoing as to the various amplifiers that Little
Walter may have used, I would have to say that on 'Going Down Slow' LW is using
some sort of effect; that is trem/vibrato. It is possible to get a very good
trem/vibrato effect by simply restricting the flow of air from your throat into
your harmonica. This is a technique that is good to master. It is useful for
many things; to try and get a Slim Harpo type of sound, for example, without
having to rely on an effect.

However, it is the tempo of 'Going Down Slow' that is the giveaway. When you
listen to the song you can hear how even the effect seems to be. In other
words, there seems to be the same amount of effect on every note. It is
possible to do that at a slightly slower tempo with your throat but at this
tempo I would have to say that Little Walter is using an effect. And by the
way, what a beautiful sound he gets and a wonderful, colorful solo.

Keith Dunn

Hi,
My guess is that he was playing thru one of the very first amps ever to offer any effects at all, and that was a Tweed Tremelux, made somewhere around 1956-58.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com