[Harp-L] Questions for those who teach

Hi list!
I have a few questions for those of you that teach others to play the harmonia. I am working on a C-level thesis about harmonica pedagogy, so I will greatly appreciate your comments, which I may qoute in my paper.

The harmonica is, in a way, an invisible instrument; you cannot actually show someone how to do a specific technique like you could on a piano or a guitar. You have to find other ways to explain it, so my questions are;

1 Do you have a specific method to explain what you cannot show visually?
2 Do you use any specific aids to explain what you cannot show visually?
3 Do you use syllables to explain specific techniques? If so, which syllables?

Also, a related question;

4 The first time you are to teach a student how to bend notes, how do you explain it?

On or off- list replys are very gratefully welcomed.
Thanks,
Mikael Backman

Mikael Backman Floragatan 8 S-941 51 Pitea +46 911-122 43 +46 70-392 36 95

http://www.ramblinminds.com/