RE: [Harp-L] Questions for those who teach

Tim Moyer wrote:
> On 11/28/05, Ludo Beckers wrote:
> >   Weren't you at Filisko's workshop in Trossingen?
> >   If so, you probably remember how he showed tongue block
> > technique, using a device he made with holes in it.
>
> Fernando Bresslau wrote:
> > Could you describe it better, please? I didn't have time to go to
> > Filisko's WS... :-)
>
> Joe has a device made from a section of a plastic milk jug handle with
> holes drilled in it the same spacing as a diatonic harmonica.  The
> plastic is translucent white, and he's cut away the cross section.  He
> can hold it in his mouth and show the position of the tongue blocking
> the holes, to demonstrate effects like split octaves, flutters and
> such.  Pretty neat idea.
>
> -tim

That's a neat idea.  Denver's Paul Davies uses an empty clear turbolid for
this same purpose (no harmonica guts inside it).  It lacks the invididual
holes but you still get a very good idea of what he's doing with his tongue.
I saw him demonstrate his complex rhythm "articulations" using this teaching
tool.  He called it "gross."  I call it effective.

Michelle