[Harp-L] Pop is for the weak.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Hunter" <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 11:49 AM
Subject: Pop is for the weak.?

Jazz isn't hard to find on the radio because of payola.  Jazz is hard to
find because stations that play a lot of jazz attract fewer listeners
than stations that play a lot of pop.  Period.

I would characterize jazz as music for musicians. Improvisation is not appreciated by many listeners. I prefer New Orleans to modern style jazz and can't say exactly why. My intellectual/musical horizons just are not wide enough to encompass modern jazz and atonal classical music. I wish that they were.

It's not surprising to me that music that's more complex intellectually
and emotionally has a smaller audience.  It's surprising that so many
musicians who should know better think that putting their brilliant,
emotionally and/or intellectually complex music in front of a larger
audience will make it more popular than the Bay City Rollers.
Again, this isn't about what sucks and what sings.

Art is what the artist says it is....... but consumers buy what they like!

Vern
Visit my harmonica website: http://www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com