[Harp-L] sound of your own voice

OK, I'm no Frank Sinatra. I'm a sideman-a harp player. I wouldn't insult a paying customer with my singing. BUT, in an informal setting (party, family reunions, campout, etc) I have no qualms with singing and folks seem to enjoy the songs I do (with guitar and rack) though they don't exactly fall out of their chair in ecstasy. When practicing, I'll get a song down to where I think it sounds pretty good but when I turn on the recorder my voice sounds quite different and not exactly pleasing. I hope the cheap recorder I use is partly to blame for this because if I really sound like that I'm going to keep my mouth shut..