[Harp-L] Note as colors

Great discussion. IMO all of you are right. To paraphrase a learned discussion in Fiddler on the Roof . I asked a friend about this thread and he said everyone was right. I said they can't all be right, He replied "You're right." So here is my two cents worth. If you play G against a C major chord you are playing the fifth scale degree. If you play G against a G major chord you are playing the root. The musical and emotional effect will be quite different. Notes do matter, but they are not right or wrong depending on context. If you are reaching your audience emotionally you are doing something right no matter how many arguments prove you are wrong. Consequently, everyone is right. But that can't be you say. Well, you're right.

I heard this story many years ago and I don't know if it's really true. A visiting Chinese dignitary shared the reviewing stand with an Army general as the band played a stirring military march as the troops passed in review. The General turned to the Chinese official and asked his opinion of the event. The dgnitary said he enjoyed it very much but thought the music was quite erotic. He was right also.

Rich Machiz