[Harp-L] Minidisc may soon become extinct

All,

I am forwarding a note that I received regarding the future of MD.  I know a
lot of you use MD for practice or to record shows.  Doesn't sound very
promising.

Bobby

The Minidisc format is seemingly going to stop being actively developed.
Sony's recent initative to restructure and give more definition to their
products has initated the decision to cut "15 product lines.." This is very
disturbing news. Right now there's a very slim chance that Hi-MD may even
see a third generation, and if it were, it would probably be the definitive
last. I'm not so sure anymore that the Connect Player will even support MD.
There's something else on the horizon now, a unified approach.

Sony had a recent webcast in New York, displaying the path in which they
would take for the next few years. Walkman was incessantly touted, but MD
was nowhere to be seen. Judging by the focus of the webcast, it should've
was very clear as to what Sony's immediate future will be, and I can
honestly say I do not see MD in the equation.

This is causing an uproar in the community; please visit the (massive)
discussion thread about it and share opinions with fellow MD enthusiasts --

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=12392