[Harp-L] small crowds (was weirdest gig)

Any blues band in Cincinnati has to occasionally deal with depressingly
small crowds. I've always admired bands that can still "bring it" even
for a nearly empty house.  One of the things we have started doing is
something we call "Blues line is it anyway?" We break away from our
established setlist and ask the crowd  (sometimes the bartender when
there's even fewer people!) to suggest a topic - any topic. We then
improvise a full song (often humorous) based on whatever topic they
suggest.  Talk about a crowd pleaser and tip / drink getter. It's often
the highlight of the evening for both the band and the appreciative and
amused audience. Our regulars have even begun requesting that we do it.
We're considering making it part of our usual routine regardless of
crowd size.

What do the rest of you do to keep the spirits up on an off night
crowd-wise?

 - Blake