Re: [Harp-L] How We Can Save the Chromatic Harmonica from Possible Extinction

Funny you should mention how people perceive the term harmonica. I played a gig last night and a bar patron came up to me and asked do I play the blues harp or harmonica. I asked what do you mean. He said, "I thought the blues harp came in different keys and a harmonica is only available in one key. It took about 5 minutes to explain the names given to harmonica. I'm glad he didn't ask about the chromatic.

While the chromatic doesn't sell in the proportions that the diatonic does I don't think it's becoming an extinct beast. I do believe it isn't played the way it was designed to be played. Both young and old players fall into the same trap of not learning to use it as a full chromatic instrument. Having chromes available in several keys has perpetuated that lack of wanting to learn to play it as a whole instrument. Very few take it beyond 3rd position in the Western world. I think the chromatic still holds popularity in the Asian countries where it is played as a classical instrument. One of my customers in Singapore plays chromatic in a harmonica orchestra at his University. He told me several hundred people signed up to play.

I joined up with a well known diatonic harmonica guild back in 1999. While I was suppose to build a client base of diatonic players it never happened. Almost 90% of my business was/is chromatic players. How that happened I don't know. The market dictated where my business grew. There are players out there serious about tweaking their chromes, buying vintage chromes and having them restored, or having them custom built.

The desire is out there. There just needs to be someone to hold the flame for them to follow. To bad Toots never taught it like Howard or there might be more players on the scene.I think there is a need for classes like the one Robert Bonfiglio held in order to educate the values of using a chrome to it's fullest. Perhaps by starting
Dave Barrett type workshops for chrome players.

mike