Re: [Harp-L] Subject: diatonic vs. chromatic

Everything goes in cycles.  The chromatic was always considered a
"real" instrument that played "serious" where the diatonic was not.

The chromatic contingent is diminishing in numbers but the quality of
players has increased. With the increasing quality of players the
harmonica is making waves, albeit small ones, that are causing other
people to pick up the instrument.  The natural first selection is the
the diatonic.  I have noticed that players are getting better and
better and the labels of "real instrument" abd "Serious music" will
soon be liberally alplied.

The harmonica as a "serious" instrument is still in it's infancy.
How many of you read music? How many understand theory? I bet 1% or
less on this this.  1% is an appalling number for any other
instrument that is not the nose flute.  Quite the opposite is nearly
true for key, sax and guitar.

Within the next decade I think we'll see a substantial leveling of
the two instruments.  There will be numerous star players on diatonic
and/or chromatic.  When the harmonica hit's the point of becoming a
"serious" instrument then schools will begin to offer courses and 99%
of harmonica players with be "schooled" musicians. They will be able
to read music, understand theory and make Db, F and Ab fit over a C
Maj scale :-)